Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What i eat

The market is an hour walk away, so I only get groceries once per week, on the way back from my weeken at the farm. We don't have a fridge, so the week is planned according to what goes bad first.

Breakfast: tea with white bread from Monday to when the bread runs out. A new addition is peanut butter, brought for me from Nairobi last weekend. However, it was stupid expensive. Five dollars for 340g! So I don't know if I'll be replenishing my cupboard when it runs out. Thursday and Friday see oatmeal (with cinnamon and raisins, all from Nairobi but not expensive) or sweet potatoes. Matron boils them for us, and in the morning we just pick off the ants and enjoy.

Lunch is just reheated dinner, sometimes with a banana or avocado.

Dinner is a carb with a vegetable and every few days, with beans as well. Carb choices: rice (white or brown), ugali (it's sort of just water and corn flour I think, but rather tasty), or spaghetti noodles. Vegetables are: kale (it goes bad quickly, so we have it Monday to Wednesday) or cabbage. Both vegetables are cooked by frying with onion and tomato. I've had kale in Canada only once, and it was in a soup, so I can't compare. But the cabbage is way way more delicious. I will definitely cook it all the time when I return.

Other than that, I don't really eat snacks. Sometimes some peanuts or an orange. Also the occasional Clif bar that I packed from home. I feel like I'm eating a pretty balanced diet, maybe with the exception of a source of calcium. But that's just a good reason to eat ice cream galore when I return, right? I'm taking a vitamin c everyday, since I do that even when at home, but I guess I maybe should have brought some calcium pills as well. No big, though. And for once in my life, I'm getting iron out the wazoo, since kale is similar in nutrients to spinache. Maybe I'll take a picture of dinner so you can see it for yourself.

9 comments:

  1. i kind of doubt you're getting enogh protien. I'm not one to advocate hard for meat eating but the peanut butter might be worth the $5 as your primary source of protien.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the protein comment. I'm thinkin you need waaay more protein. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey lisa! your blog rocks. it sounds like you're having a blast.
    it sounds like your diet is fairly balanced, but a little low on protein and fats, so i agree PB probably isn't a bad thing to splurg on. or how about eggs for protein? i would think they'd be readily available.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like you can get your protein from the ants, no? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa!!
    Ants on the sweet potatoes? Yuck.

    Makes me think of the movie castaway when the guy got so angry that he started eating bugs.

    So does this food go in a cupboard? Does it have an airtight container? Do the spiders share?

    You'll have to cook us that cabbage/potato/onion number when you get back.

    I'm so proud of how you are adapting so well. I'm amazed!!!

    love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa , what do you drink? Do they have fresh Milk? Boy you will be a women of the world after this, just take care as we all are enjoying you sending us your daily routines. Take Care Love you Nana

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Anita, I have to agree with Nana; I am really enjoying hearing about your daily routines. Lisa, there is a grocery store in Kikima. I have been there and bought goodies of many sorts. When you are Ruth's ask to go there; you will be able to stock up on a variety of stuff like peanut butter, I believe. It's no Loblaws, but.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good thing you packed on the pounds in Texas, Lise! It sounds like you will need them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey lisa! it is so interesting to read how different it is in Kenya. i mean, when you said you'd be traveling there i knew it would be different, but it's almost like you went back in time. you seem to be enjoying teaching so far, i'm glad to hear it! keep the adventures coming :)

    ReplyDelete