Monday, May 11, 2009

First day teaching

So I am teaching grade nine math and grade ten physics. The students don't use calculators. One of the topics I have to cover is square roots. I thought, okay, with no calculator, we'll just do 81 and 16 and stuff. But no, we will use tables. I have never heard of that, so i'll have to learn it myself first.

The girls are the very best. I was told that they all dislike math but it sure didn't seem like it. As I did examples, they did the math out loud with me, you know, saying "eight times seven is six carry five." and when I would ask who wants to try an example on the board, hands shot up. Even if a girl was incorrect, she was eager to try again the next time. Even when I ask questions like 'okay?' they all say yes. It's kind of fun.

There is morning assembly. One girl leads some singing and another says a prayer. Then each teacher says something. The exchange is like this:
teacher: good morning
girls: good morning
teacher: good morning once again
girls: good morning

and then the teacher says her thing. I feel like my summer is going to be less about the trials of kenya, and more about being a teacher. I feel almost used to kenya living. Except the latrine. Its hard, you guys.

Some things: every body is always asking me if i am cold. I'll be wearing a tshirt and thinking about re-applying sunscreen and they will be wearing long sleeves. All the babies year winter hats. Also everybody thinks I don't eat very much. I'll be served these massive portions even when i ask for just a little. During the weekend two of my students delivered food from the matron and i thought it was a lot for just the three of us. Then it turned out they had eaten already- this army portion was all for me! I eat as much as i can, but i honestly do not believe that any human my size could do half, even if they hadn't eaten for days. I hope that what i return isn't wasted. You know how your mom would always make you finish your dinner, citing starving kids in africa? Well now those starving kids might be within walking distance.

So far i have not gotten sick, just a little bit sun burned.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds sort of like my sister's teaching experience in China. All the girls were so enthusiastic to learn.

    Kudos to you for the Latrine thing. Like I said before, I don't think I could do that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the name of your blog...my parents and grandparents tend to worry when I'm overseas, too.

    Oh, all the experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lisa,

    I am sure that you will be a wonderful teacher.....and a wonderful student. Likely you will experience more learning from this journey than they.

    I love the pic from the front door. I can't wait to see more.

    The boys are going to send you love notes.

    Love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. i felt awful when i was in japan, because i NEVER finished the tray of food i got at lunch.. and all these 11 year olds were REQUIRED to eat every scrap.

    i can almost see getting used to squatting to pee, but what happens when you need to more-than-pee??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like your kind of class! Girls who like math :)

    You'll get used to that bathroom soon enough and be all shocked when you come back and see a normal one.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today during staff training we talked aboutt different ways to explain frictional forces!

    All of the methods were using stuff we had around the room like shoes and water bottles, and our hands. It was pretty exciting learning how to teach!

    I'm going to enjoy reading more about your teaching adventures!!!

    <3 Jacob

    ReplyDelete
  7. LISA!

    It sounds like you're already getting into the groove of things, which is super great. I'm really excited for you.

    News update: I got a job! And an apartment!

    GREG

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow lisa, it sounds like you're having a great time so far
    when you mentionned the amount of food, i definitely thought of the "starving children in africa" saying ...
    and wow it must be soo neat having such entusiastic students - such a positive atmosphere
    ... i must say that i would def be having trouble with the latrine as well - good success with that!
    take care
    - Steffi

    ReplyDelete