Saturday, May 9, 2009

New home again

I'm having trouble sleeping again tonight. So i though i'd hit the blog.

You may notice i have figured out how to start a new paragraph. Practically rocket science over here.

So i guess a quick catch-up. I left monday, arrived tuesday, spent wednesday in downtown nairobi, spent thursday just resting at the nairobi apartment, spent friday travelling out to mbooni, spent saturday morning meeting and playing with some kids who are part of a food security project, and then saturday afternoon was spent moving to the school.

I will certainly in into more detail on the things that happened earlier this week, but lets first talk about the school. I'll be teaching at an all girls secondary school in mbooni. About half the girls are boarders, and I am living on campus, too. I now live in a little house with two bedrooms, a sitting room, a "latrine", a kitchen, and, most impressively, a shower. The extra bedroom is for another young teacher who apparently will move in tomorrow. The latrine is the squat kind. All these rooms are connected by an outdoors (roofless) room/corrider that has a padlocked gate. My bedroom door locks and there is a watch man so i feel pretty safe. I an super excited to wash my hair tomorrow; I have only shampooed once this week, but i take solace in the fact that grease makes it less frizzy. Yes, this girl is attractive.

Tomorrow I have to go to a five hour long church service. At first I thought they were joking. Nope. Does that not seen slightly lenghty?

Oh, also I have a chicken coop outside my door with baby chicks! And there was a act running around and I mentioned that I love cats (editors note: I love dogs more) and the principal was like, oh then we'll get you one. Hooray! Jack, should I name it sebastian?

Okay, I am going to try to sleep again. Leave comments!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa
    Your living arrangements sound safe. Are they different from what you were expecting? I think I remember you saying you were going to be living with a woman in a house an hour's walk from the school.
    The weather here was weird today. We actually had a hail downpour for a few minutes, like pieces the size of half-marbles.
    Mark and I are going to Chile tomorrow, Sunday morning. We bought a bunch of professional-grade anti-flu masks that we'll don once we're close to Mexico City. We also bought an old Game Boy Advance and about 30 AA batteries that we're sure to fight over on our 24 hour journey there. We don't have too many formal things planned yet but we're definitely going to see a soccer game which is exciting.
    A five-hour church service, yikes, that's longer than graduation. Hopefully you'll be able to sit for most of it.
    I can try to keep you updated with wordly things once I come home. My daily news de-briefing usually only consists of checking the Yahoo Canada main page. Nothing too eye-popping today: Denmark is the happiest country (Canada 8th), Costa Rica has first swine flu death, Michelle Obama is presenting a scholarship at some fancy dinner.
    Much love
    Moley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisey!

    Your house sounds cool...and exciting about the cat! When does the other teacher girl move in? I hope you like her!

    Post some pictures when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, a cat! And yay, a shower and hair-washing! Your quads are going to be THE FITTEST after all that squatting-to-pee, too. I can't wait to hear about the other teacher.

    Too bad you can't live-blog the 5 hour church service; that would be like the God-Oscars! Goscars? Maybe you can bring a notebook and write stuff down to post later, hmmm?

    I miss you the most! I can't wait to see pics! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just talking to my mom about names (we were looking at passports) and she revealed to me that she and my dad would have named me Lisa if it weren't for Anna. How cool?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cats and chickens..that's an interesting combo :) Sounds like you're in for quite the adventure. I hope the latrine experience goes well. squatting all the time would worry me and my quads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad you made it and are settling in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Lisa! Hope all is going well. This will be your first weekend away from the school yea? I hope it will be relaxing and that you'll get to see more of Mbooni District. Cheers! Mueni

    ReplyDelete