Saturday, May 16, 2009

The funeral

Yesterday I went to a funeral service about a ten minute walk from my house. Most of the students in my school were singing, so classes were cancelled and all students and teachers went to the service.

The funeral was for the mother of a minister in the government. The minister is I guess the Kenyan Hillary Clinton- she was the first female to bid for presidency but was unsuccessful. There were thousands of people in attendance including many ministers, the prime minister, and the vice president! I was too far back to see them, but I saw their helicopters. Right now in Kenya there is a president and a prime minister. Usually there is just a pres, but everybody I've talked to agrees that he cheated. After the results of the last election were announced, people were so angry that there were lots of murders. Apparently there were just random acts of violence, like a bunch of people were burned to death in a church. Note: I'm just repeating what others have told me. Internet via phone makes it too hard for me to do my own research and fact checking. So to quell the violence, it was decided that Raila, who I think got the second most votes, would be the pm. People around here love the vice pres, because he is Kamba, the tribe of this location.

So we got to the funeral around ten thirty and had lunch around one. There were even cokes! There was singing the whole time, but the actual ceremony started around two. I left around four, to head back to the farm for the weekend.

So now I've been to a Kenyan funeral. There was even another muzungo there!

1 comment:

  1. Lisa I actually LOVE reading about your trip.
    When I come home from school I check this and facebook. Keep writing!

    My fav is how the kids do the math outloud and the muzungo story. TAKE THOUSANDS OF PICTURES and videos. I have a whole picture in my mind of the place your staying and even where the funeral was, but a video would be so awesome to watch once your home.

    :) britt

    ReplyDelete