Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Muzungo

Let me tell you something. It is very hard to teach physics with no demonstration equipment and a language barrier. And I ask you, how can one properly demonstrate centre of gravity with out a can of pop? You know, you find out how much you need to drink so that it can balance on its edge? Pop comes in bottles here. Alas.

I have found that they seen to understand better if I write it down rather than speak it. I do both, while trying to speak slowly and avoid contractions.

Here is something the girls love: I say good bye at the end of the class and in unison they chime, "see you!" and then collapse into giggles. Their over favourite thing is when I use swahili words. Sawa means do you understand? They love it.

Yesterday I was walking past the primary school at lunch time and a kid spotted me and shouted muzungo, and all the other kids came running over. They lined the fence and stared at me. I waved and they all waved back. Once I had passed they all started laughing. Its good natured, though. The principal told me that many here have never seen a muzungo, so they are just so happy to look at me (her words). A muzungo is a white person. Even a adults stop talking and stare. They also seem to love to brush up on english greetings, so unlike the primary kids, instead of just staring, they shout out ALLO! When I wave, they wave back, sometimes with two hands.

Starting today I am cooking for myself. I now own a giant knife with a snake skin handle. Its pretty fierce. The vegetables here are kale, cabbage, tomatoes, potatoes, other leafy greens that nobody knows the english word for that must be boiled, and onions. There is also rice, corn, pasta, eggs, and beans. Fruits in season include bananas and oranges. I have a little gas tank that I cook with.

Also, soon I have to do laundry. I wonder where the washing machines are?

3 comments:

  1. Sawa means "good" really? I'm not surprised they're all shouting "Mzungu" at you... you get it pretty much everywhere in rural Africa!

    Have they started asking you for "bis-que-its" or "joo-eece" yet? (biscuits and juice).

    Another couple of choice phrases...

    "sema" - talk or say or go on
    "kali" - (am sure you know this) hot, sharp, fierce, expensive... you name, it means it
    "Si taka asante" - I don't want it

    You've probably also figured out that no one in Africa actually says "Jambo" to say hello... mostly they will great each other with "habari" (news)

    Hope you're having a lovely time. Washing machines? I think you'll be lucky ;) Your hands and some OMO will suffice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, what are you gonna make to eat? Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be healthy!

    It's a good thing they got a smartypants for a teacher, eh? Probably not a lot of their volunteers could even teach physics!

    Also, let me know what you want me to send!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds amazing. I'm sure when it is all said and done you'll be so glad you actually did this.

    ReplyDelete