Saturday, May 16, 2009

Other things about the funeral

There was food for the thousands, but only a few hundred bowls and spoons, so when people finshed, their dishes were washed and re-used. When I say washed, I mean rinsed with water using fingers. The girls washed mine for me and did a pretty good job. Still, I was pretty nervous. But I'm fine.

People cut the line SO MUCH. You have to stand with your toes touching the heels of the person in front of you. Every time somebody budded me, I would turn to Winnie, my friend/a teacher, and she would shrug and say that it's the African way. Have you ever seen the first episode of 30 rock? Where liz lemon buys all the hot dogs from the stand to teach the cutters a lesson? That's how I feel about line cutting. I don't yet know enough Swahili to start dishing sass, though.

People cheered when the vice president and prime minister arrived. Like stood on their chairs and whistled.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Lisa, What a cultural experience that was. Nothing in my day was as remotely of interest as that. I guess my highlight was that I made date squares.

    What will you do on the farm this w/e?

    Love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting...I hope they had good food! (What are you eating these days, anyway?)

    I have my big end-of-season hockey party today...fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to hear your stories. I am looking forward to reading about your experiences in the next couple of months.

    ReplyDelete