Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Primary School Kids

The kids from the nearby primary school are the best. At lunch, they’re out on break when I walk past on my way home to eat, and they’ve always got creative new things to shout out at my as I pass. “Muzungu!” or, “how are youuuuu” then the next week, “goooood morning!” (where good rhymes with food), and eventually they’ve moved on to things like, “you are beautiful!”. “you are smart!”(where smart rhymes with cat) and even, my personal favourite, “we love you so much!” It makes a girl’s day to have 100 small Kenyans shout amorous proclamations at the top of their lungs.

I guess I should mention that there seems to be a local grammatical deficiency in the area of superlatives, like when Winnie asked me if there was a difference between dislike and hate. I told her yeah, it’s like the difference between like and love. When she asked me to clarify the difference between like and love, I thought for a moment that maybe the kids didn’t feel as ardently as their vocab choices might imply… but no, certainly they mean love. Don’t you think?

Last week another primary school was visiting. They ate lunch on the church yard, and my regular primary kids at lunch on their school yard. The fences of the yards line the walk way to my house, so as I walked home, there were kids crowding the fences on both sides. My kids were particularly possessive, and when the visiting kids in unison yelled, “what is your name!” my kids shouted back, also in unison, “her name is Mrs. Farlow and she is from Canada!” (I can’t get them to stop with the Mrs, but at least they no longer tell me that I’m from Japan)

When I go running in the morning before school, I always end up with a herd of kids running beside me. With backpacks and bare feet, they just run beside me. They never say anything. I bet that on the mornings I go running, the number of late students is at least halved. I feel a little bit like the pied piper.

Today I headed over to the shops to pick up some chipati for dinner, just as the choir kids finished their practice. They won some local tournament, so they’re heading to the big city (by big, I mean Machakos) in August for the finals. They practice every day, and they’re actually really good. I would totally go cheer for them, except for that I’LL BE HOME BY THEN! (less than 2 weeks now!) The walk to the shops is about ten minutes, and the entire time the choir gaggle giggled non-stop. Then the boldest girl, a tiny one who I often see challenging boys to foot races, would ask a question like, “where are you going?” and when I answered, “the shops!” they would all repeat my answer as if it were the most absurd thing ever. “THE SHOPS!!! THE SHOPS!” And once they had caught their breath, the girl would ask another question.

“What is your English name?”

“Lisa!”

“LISA!!! HER NAME IS LISA!!! LISA!”

And then I would ask a question, like how far their walk home is. They’d all waffle until the little brave one would shout an absurd answer, like “A THOUSAND MINUTES!” and they would all laugh in the same way they laughed at my absurd answers. Then the little ring leader would sprint off, apparently embarrassed by her own wit, until the laughing had calmed. I noticed that two girls looked alike, so I asked if they were sister. The ring leader shouted, “NO, THEY ARE BROTHERS!” and dashed off again. Almost everybody has as shaved head, so I looked again, but no, they were wearing the girl uniform (that is, a skirt).

I like the primary school kids a lot. It’s too bad there are so many of them (8 classes of about 30) because I’d have liked to have spent time with them, or give them candy on my last day or something. Either way. Hilarious kids.

6 comments:

  1. Ok that is seriously a great post, I loved it. I really love that they run with you in the mornings, and also, I'm really proud that you're out running! Hooray! Miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you said that the kids follow you when you run, I just pictured that scene from Forrest Gump when he runs across country like 3 times with a herd of people following him. LOL. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get this amazing image in my mind with you running surrounded by all these beautiful Kenyan children.

    I know that you are counting down that days. I know that there have been some very difficult moments.

    But...are you glad you went?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you remember our gr.10 retreat where Mr. Devine tried to explain love and how its used too often about things we don't actually love (according to its definition). He described the other as "pizza love" everyone has serious attachment to pizza and crave it often but we don't love it like we would a parent or friend. Therefore like = pizza love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa
    Received your postcard to day. What a nice surprise.I will be glad when your home again as I cant wait for the meal. I will miss reading your daily blog. It is something I looked forward to, well have a great day and we will see you soon. Love Nana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at www.sciencescore.com for primary school kids

    ReplyDelete