Monday, July 27, 2009

In the airport

Oh boy! I'm all checked in at my gate! I got here about 3.5 hours early, and of course when you're early everything goes well. It's only when you're running late that you miss your turn, or there is a long line at customs. I've traipsed the terminal but all they have are way over priced souvenir shops and duty free areas with cartons of cigarettes larger than the average coffin. They also have little restaurants. I checked one out to see if they had any mendazi and they did, well, they "did." If you count it if it was packaged in plastic with nutritional information on it. Ahem, the real deal is never more than a few hours old, and must come from a cafe full of old men sipping broth from a bowl. Please. You, airport, can keep your fake mendazi.


I'm kind of anxious about the souvenirs I packed. There are a lot of little wooden things. Things with handles. Things with tusks. I have this big, beautiful stone chess board that I'm most worried about. I know all about bending moments and torque! I packed it surrounded by clothes to cushion, and then books to prevent bending. I made little short cylinders out of newspaper because we did a crash lab last term, using paper cylinders as a bumper on a little car. It worked well then, and I'm hoping for similar impact absorption in my suitcase. Whoever said the things you learn in science classes you never use in real life has obviously never made it home with an intact chess board! I should probably not brag about my packing method until I get home with it in one piece.

Oh, also, somebody ring the wedding bells because I am officially certified as marriage ready. That's right, I made chapati by myself last night. And they were delicious. Kay told me that a good wife makes good chapati. This is a skill that will be boasted on many a future match.com profile, I'm sure. We also had cabbage and potatoes, my favourite meal. I ate so much. I'm bringing home some Royco so I can make it for whoever to try. Royco is this spice that is advertised heavily and only sold in Kenya. Their slogan is, "Royco, for the tastiest getheri ever" and whenever I see a billboard with this slogan, I say it aloud in the same voice as the lady from the radio. I'm sure it's annoying to all other passengers in the car. Royco should hire me. Oh, family, also I'm bringing home some chapati, too. It'll still be fresh.

Last night, after the aforementioned epicurean (I have no spell check, sorry) binge, I woke up around midnight feeling a little sick. Wouldn't it be so funny if after 3 months of fairly good health, I fell sick on the final day? Yes. Hilarious. And by funny I mean the worst ever. And by hilarious I mean woe to me. Luckily, I think it was just over excitement to come home. I got so many people such good presents that I can't wait to deliver! Also, showering! With hot water! I'll be home in about 21 hours and I'm so excited to be greeted at the airport. See you soon!

7 comments:

  1. I hope that your suveniors make it home without incidence. And you should post some recipes, so that those of us who have not made it to Kenya can attempt (or at least appreciate) the food you have been raving about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to this side of the world. I know I didn't comment much, but I read ever single post, and it was amazing to follow your adventures. Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The welcoming brigade will be out!!!!!!!!!! Jack insists that you sleep in his bed tonight.

    Right at this momemt, he is making you a cake ALL BY HIMSELF.

    There will be music, balloons, flowers and we even hired an organ grinder for a special touch. We have decided to "go African" and so you will find us all with colourful turbans and large-floral decorated skirts. Even Dad!!

    It will be a great party right there at the airport!

    Then, we will have a meal of your favourites waiting at home. You have given me a hint in your recent email.

    Yes!!!!!!! It will be cabbage and potatoes!!

    Love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I was there for the welcome home party! Mom - maybe you should make Lisa's favorite meal (ribs?) Send me pics of the homecoming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We rocked the crash lab. I'm sure your chess board will be fine. Did you go double-rolled or triple-rolled? I hope your flight goes well. See you soon!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, you must be home by now! what an amazing adventure. it has been fascinating to read along as you went on this journey. thank you for sharing it! hope the flight went well and that you are now home safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete