Sunday, July 19, 2009

Matatu names

Not to brag or anything, but I'm practically a hero at taking matatus by now. I'm on yet another one, heading back to school for my final week. I'm in the front, even though the front fills up first, and we were here a bit late. But it was Elijah that took me to the depot, and that guy has an in with everybody in the world.

After Saturday's escapade, I'm a mat veteran, and I feel that my experience now qualifies me to make a list of the best matatu names. Every bus has some words written on the back, in flashy, colourful letters that a marketing exec from the late 90s would have touted as a sans serif that really appeals to the youth mixed with Fresh Prince era wholesome graffiti-style font. I love it. Many names are just reminicent of Catholic high schools, like Merciful Redeemer, or He Gave His Only Son, and many have animal names like The Hyena. A few get more original like, OBSESSION or Sports Rally, but my favourites by far are:
4. Father, Forgive Them
3. u hit us, WE HIT U
2. Balancing Equations
1. SKIRMISHES!!

3 comments:

  1. Great list. I love that they have names, and such creative names at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding me there was one called "Balancing Equations"?! That is so awesome. (I'm a geek, I know...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lisa,

    Take some pictures of these things!!!!!!!!!! We need to see them!!

    I would love to see a pic of you sitting in the front seat too.

    love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete