Sunday, June 28, 2009

Not the only muzungu

My mom recently asked me why blogging has slowed, and I said that nothing new is really happening, so sometimes I'm out of ideas. She rightly pointed out what a funny statement that is- I'm in the middle of Kenya and there's honestly nothing new? But really, things just have been going normally. I've settled into a routine. Today marks exactly one month until I return home.

For 10 days or so, Eric will be around town as well. He's the brains of the outfit, at least from the Canadian side. He connected me with the people here, and my thoughts for creating a more official program for other people to get out here encouraging math and science would take place I guess as a sub-division of the program he created and runs. I'm kind of suprised by how much I've enjoyed just talking about the western world with him. We can go back and forth talking about food we miss, for example. And when I say that I could drink some Swiss Chalet gravy, he knows what I mean. Or we can make Flight of the Concord references. Or reflect briefly on Michael Jackson. Even it's been nice just to sort of have an ally of sorts in feeling awkward in certain situations, you know? I think it would have been much easier to have come here with another person. Well, Winnie turned out to be great... But in a Winnie-less circumstance, certainly another Canadiad would have been needed. If I get a program going, I'll send people in twos.

What else, what else. I got some pretty sweet care packages lately. Thanks mom/dad and aunt sandy! I now have a whole slew of books to keep me company and fill the days. The girls write midterms on Monday and Tuesday, and then they get a few days break; school resumes the following Tuesday. I'll be with Eric, who has got a pretty packed schedule, so I'll probably get some interesting experiences then. And after that, just three weeks left! Crazy, right? Well, I'm going to hit the hay. Long day today!

3 comments:

  1. HI Lisa,

    So have you eaten one of the 8 boxes of Krap I mean Kraft dinner that we sent along? If so, what did Winnie think because surely you shared? I'll bet it doesn't compare to the tasty Chicken gullets.

    Where are you going with Eric? I'd like to know more about that? Have you breezed through the book on the Philisophical Works of Descartes that I sent along? Dan thought it was a joke that I was sending that but I told him you approved.

    Fraulein Sarah is busy doing German language classes via Laura's (old) company and the whole thing looks like so much fun I might try it myself.

    Jack started the lessons and took to them like a bird to flight; it must be the German genes (1/4) coming out in him.

    When are you going to post a picture of Winnie and the house? There is still so much to read about and see. Tell us more!!

    Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you come back, we will go to Swiss Chalet in celebration and drink lots and lots of Chalet sauce. I have the biggest craving for it now. Also in recent news, Billy Mays, that crazy salesman who advertises things like OXICLEAN died. You know who I'm talking about? The dark hair and beard with that super booming voice? Yeah. Those commercials are going to be big deals now!

    So hurry up and come back so we can go to Swiss Chalet, ok? Kaythxbai.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh swiss chalet gravy. How delicious. I'm glad you have someone to chat to about home. It can get frustrating when no one knows what you're talking about!

    ReplyDelete