Monday, June 8, 2009

Electives

Yesterday while sitting on the matatu with the principal, I mentioned that I was thinking about starting some clubs, like drama or photography, that would run after school and be totally optional. She gave me full approval on whatever I wanted to do, and even told me to ask her for anything I might need. I've been trying to think of knowledge I have that might be useful or fun for the girls. There are no arts in their curriculum, and despite the fact that the only arts course I took in high school was grade ten drama, and I only took it because we needed an arts credit to graduate, I most certainly beleive in the merits of the arts. Like, they're so busy being well behaved reluctant to speak that when you give them a chance to let loose they don't know what to do. When we played the wavi game I had to bribe them with extra points to make them cheer.

So my main goal with the electives is to give them a place to learn without being tested. Like, just to express themselves and be creative. That sounds so trite. My secondary goal is just to take full advantage of the fact that I have a different teaching skill set and knowledge base than the other teachers. So in addition to the creative electives like photography and drama, maybe things like first aid/cpr, North American culture, and colloquial English.

During computers today (which doesn't take place in the school house, and therefore the girls are way less taciturn) I asked them what sorts of things they would like to learn. They want to sing American song. Oh man. I said okay, which is hilarious since my singing voice has been described as both shrill and lugubrious. Oh man.

So I'm now trying to put together a little curriculum for each elective. Do you think its fair to say that only students who get above 80 on the next big upcoming midterm are allowed to partake in photography? I'd rather limit the number of people who can learn it because I don't want my camera to get ruined, plus maybe that will be incentive to study? I'm thinking we could do a lesson on working a digital camera, then a lesson on what makes a good picture (its a long story, but one time I snuck into a high school and ended up in a photography class pretending to be a new transfer student. It's a long story, but I know a bit about rule of thirds and stuff. Listen, it's a long story.) Then the rest of the sessions could be taking pictures, and I could print and mail back a few.

Drama...man, I don't know. Where does one being to start there? I guess I could teach improv? Does anybody know of good resources for scripts? Like, three to six characters, no longer than five minutes? I don't know where to start.

For North American culture, I could have a theme each week. Like geography, politics, fashion, media, rights and freedoms, food and cooking, the justice system, ceremonies like weddings or whatever, etc? I think each week it would be easy enough to think of something.

Singing/music. It'll be stupid expensive to stream a song, but it would be nice to let them actually hear the real version of a song while learning to sing in, which would limit me to the things on my ipod... so I guess I'll start by looking through what I've got. I think I'll have to extend my search though. Probably some good Beatles songs will be easy and appropriate, or some show tunes like Any Dream Will Do, or Do You Hear The People Sing? Yeah, do you think? There's a piano in the church that we can access, but none of them play. I bet I could pull it together and play some simple accompanyment, but I'd rather choose songs that can be sung without the need for an instrument. I'm trying to think up good acoustic type sing alongs like Jack Johnson? Dashboard? Even The Mountain Goats? Or some more cheery twee like any Tilly and the Wall? Slow Club? I don't know. Please comment with any song that you can think would be enjoyable for 15 year olds to sing, and not too hard for me to teach. Like harmonies are probably over my head. Also, do you think its important to choose songs with a bit of cultural significance, or just any song that is fun to sing? Also also, comment any ideas for elective classes that you can think of.

8 comments:

  1. I don't think its a bad thing if your drama elective is strictly improv. With your (lack of) resources it would make it a lot easier. The girls would certainly learn to open up, I bet it would be a really positive experience for them to have that outlet. Also, from an improv perspective, it would be really awesome to have teaching improv in Kenya in your repetoire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I think you totally should make electives something that must be earned with good grade
    2. for photography could you use disposable cameras or will there be no where to develop them? I'd be happy to send you some cheap disposables if you can use them
    3. totally just do improv for theatre
    4. don't over stretch -- this sounds like a lot of clubs to support
    5. songs: i think showtunes are probably a good bet as the're enjoyable even without music. you might also try camp songs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding marks and participation, I think it should be based on improvements over the last test or some kind of extra effort put toward studying.

    Some girls (and people) have a real problem with these kinds of courses and some don't. It would be sad not to include the girls who are trying hard but can't meet the goal.

    Love,
    mom
    PS. where is this adaptor thing you want me to send and what kind of powerbars to you want? can anything beat a billybillyhoo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Want me to download you some songs? I can send them to you on a USB stick or whatever.

    I can send you my old camera too (if I can find it)...while lovely in its day, it's a piece of crap now, so who cares if they break it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is really cool that you are doing this.

    Anything you need us to send, let me know.

    xoxo, Lis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lisa,

    I took a photography class in Mexico last summer and the teacher gace us a DVD with every lesson on it. In one month we got a full credit, so the DVD will definitely be straightfoward enough. I'll burn a copy and send it asap.

    britt :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meags- very good point! I was worried it might be too much for their english, but it'll probably be really good practice.
    Bri- i think its moderately expensive to develop film here, plus their favourite part is seeing it on the screen afterwards. Thank you so much for the needi though. Also, i was hoping you could give me a particularly good song rec- camp songs are boring to teach, and you know all the best music!
    Brittski- WONDERFUL!
    Mom- yeah but then only the girls you didn't try last time can improve the most. What if i say above 80 in either my subject or english? Or how about i say above 80 or 30% improvement. Remember some people got 11%. Also, can you call me and i'll direct you to the power?
    -lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds amazing. You are amazing. AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete