Sunday, April 19, 2009

Worrying about my knee

In addition to lions, typhoid, and pirates, one of my recurring "omg, Kenya" worries is my knee.

I tore my ACL and had surgery last fall. I've been doing my physiotherapy and only rarely does my knee bother me these days. I'm still restricted in that I can't squat all the way down and I promised my physiotherapist I wouldn't play even recreational soccer while in Kenya. (bummer) I have recently started running again and I've enjoyed a pretty rigorous weight lifting routine for most of this winter.

I've packed a knee tensor for in case I feel like I want a bit of knee support while there. The terrain is pretty hilly and rocky, but I'll be wearing sturdy shoes. I don't think I'll have any knee problems, but I'm still a little worried that something might happen.

Most people who re-tear their ACL after surgery do so within the first year. I'm not really in the clear, yet. I'll have to be really careful. If I do re-injure myself, I won't know what to do... I guess I'd come home early.

No comments:

Post a Comment